Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A Mystical Cruise of Tunisia

I would like to take the time here to take you on my Spring Break trip to different lands, a tale of newfound wonders and excitements. I recounted some of my adventures in a book that I had with me during this 2-week period, and I seek to go through some of the material. I will also include many Pictures so that you can see what it was like. Truly, I have never been so awestruck before this particular excursion.


I´ll start with my 7 day visit to the capital of Tunisia, Tunis, in the very northern most part of Africa. The following text is from my Journal at that time:
     Last night - being at that time the seventh of April - I arrived in a land completely unlike any other; this would begin my week-Long visit in Tunisia. As soon as my travel-weary soles connected with the earth, and after a not-so-bad plane flight, I began to comprehend the stark difference between here and other travels previously. Even the air tastes of another brew. It is truly magical here; just casually strolling about one realiyes the Change of tone, especially coming from America. The architecture, nature, roads, everything reminds you that you´re not in Kansas anymore.
    I´m staying in a wonderful abode in an area called LaMarsa, near Sidi Bou Said. This Region in particular parades a Special Quality. Nearly all of the buildings are painted in a uniform White and blue style, draping the landscape in a sea of rambling Stone. The blue domes and White arches spread throughout the majestic Mediterranean coast. Taxis come and go, whisking the People this way and that. While waiting for my friend at her University, IHEC Carthage, I took a stroll down to a nearby beach. It wasnt that sort of huge beach with Tourists Spilling all over the sand; rather, it bespoke a calm, easygoing atmosphere. Its only inhabitants are two men and a dog coupled with some fishermen enjoying their catch.








 9.4.2017
Heute in Tunesien geht so schön! Und Balkis - meine Freundin - und ich habe viel spaß gehabt! Gerade dann haben wir zum Zentrum des Tunis angekommen, und es war ein wunderschöne Erfahrung! Trans. - Today Balkis - my friend - and I had so much fun! Just then we had arrived at the Center of Tunis, and it was a very great ride! We went to the traditional inner, and very tight streets of the Souk. Reaistically, it is hard to simply Picture what life is really like here, and even for me have I only visited the larger and slightly more touristic Areas. The tight market streets of the Souk - a winding, often-cramped, and labyrinthian maze - bristle with lively Shopping, brusk grumbled phrases in Arabic, and of course just a Little hustling. Walking around here, in honest truth, is simply nothing like the US or Europe. For one, the traffic is a bit...off kilter. You can expect nobody to follow traditional traffic rules, but at the same time, the Population here thrives on a sort of Tunisian ordered chaos.
    Walking by the street markets, you will hear many voices goading you in, whether it be the Arabic "saleem," "Bon jour," or "hello". But don´t let the sometimes boisterous street-vendors pollute your Image of Tunis. It is part of the life here; People must sell their wares and make a living: you don´t just get a Job at Walmart here, that´s for sure.
    Wandering through the Souk, Balkis and I strumbled upon a rather interesting building. It appeared to be some sort of rug shop; however, there was no one around save for some younger People enjoying the rooftop Access of this particular building. In our wonderstruck state, we proceeded to venture inside and see a view that would take my breath away. From the top I could see the whole of Tunis: sprawling, buzzing, and wild.




    Nothing is exactly set in Stone here. You want to buy something? Prepare to haggle and coerce for a decent Price. You want to go downtown from Sidi Bou Said? Hop on the nearest old jelopy of a taxi, Hand the Driver a Dinar or two, and get off where you like. Want the Train? Buy a ticket, scramble on, and pay Attention because it goes when it wants and doesn´t conveniently tell you all the stops in English. You may not want to read a book while you´re waiting either because, as Balkis told me when she tried to read a book on the Train once, a man asked her, "What are you doing? Do you think you´re European or something?"
    Unfortunately, as Balkis tells me, These organizational Problems set Tunis back a Little bit, but the rich history and culture here should be a must-see for everyone. Buildings are scattered and somewhat irregular, not unlike a crazy place like Manhattan, but littering is not as taboo, and there are no convenient, well-organized Shopping malls.
     However, Tunisia still shines out as the beautiful Country of historic Carthage, extraordinary beaches, and oh! the Food is astounding. Today in Tunis, Balkis took me out to try a traditional Food called ojja, a sort of soupy, sheep-intestine and egg-infused spicy goodness. I really don´t quite know how to describe it, but hopefully a Picture will help you out!
   
    Another facet I have noticed about Tunis is that there are many embassies and homes of ambassadors that stand in quite a stark contrast to other buildings, including that of the Tunisian president, Bej Caid Essebsi. In fact, while I was strolling on a beach one day, I happened upon Essebsi´s presidential manor without even realiying it. The compound must take up a good square mile or so, and it includes a luscious beachside. While driving around with some of Balkis´friends from the University - who enjoyed very much going by the names of "Cook" and "Donald", they remarked profusely upon the many rich embassy complexes and other various mansions.
    One Thing that I feel I must mention about Tunisia is the wrong sort of Impression we in the US and other countries might have of it. The News and Mainstream media Display Tunisia as a place of danger. However, my experience in this beautiful Country so far has been everything excepting These negative notions. I´m Aware it is almost cliche to mention this, but one must really visit the Country before making too many judgements. While some sources may portray Tunisia in a darker light, the truth that I have experienced so far is quite different. Everyone I have spoken with here has affirmed that the dangerous side of Tunisia is a minority. This is not to say to let go of all one´s safety measures, but mass hysteria is certainly not the answer. Although my time here is short, I have definitely gotten the most authentic Tunisian experience that one could hope for; my local friend and others made sure of that, and I have experienced nothing resembling danger.


10.4.2017
    Heute hat für einen sehr guten Tag gemacht! Gerade habe ich für meine Freundin Balkis und ihren Kurs ein Presentation gezeigt, und es ist sehr gut gegangen! Today in Tunis I made a presentation as part of Balkis´final class presentation. For this Project, I prepared a short speech about my brother James, who works extensively with Computer Software, on the subject of Innovation. This presentation from Balkis and her Group lasted about one hour, and I was honored enough to speak in front of her class for about ten minutes. I was to speak for another Group in the same class, but unfortunately we ran out of time and their presentation was delayed a week, and of course, I would have left Tunisia at that Point. It seems that visiting American students are somewhat of a rare commodity here, and very useful for a group seeking high marks at that!




This wraps up the accounts I made whilst I was visiting Tunisia. And although this nowhere near resembles a complete recounting, hopefully the Pictures and text will have given you somewhat of an Image of what it is like. Again, thank you for reading, and enjoy the Pictures!


 Balkis, some of her friends, and I at the University
 A view over Tunis from the coast
 My great friend and Tunisian local, Balkis



 Part of downtown Tunis with a historical arch
 Man in the Souk crafting traditional headpieces
 View over downtown Tunis
 Museum dar el´hout
 Nighttime view of Tunis from a wonderful coffee shop
 Inside the great coffee shop one finds comfortable arragements
 Balkis´friend Nada and I pose infront of a traditional Tunisian door
 Fancy sign for Carthage, part of Tunis
 The home where I stayed, a wonderful Family
 Ancient ruins, typically seen anywhere you walk here
 A large cathedral in Tunis
 Entrance to a great Museum with the Tunisian flag
 View across the bay
 Ancient Theater
 View of a large Mosque near Carthage
 Inside the Mosque
 In front of the Mosque (So schön!)
One of the greatest inventions: the Turkish Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment